POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 : Re: Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acer Aspire 5000
From: scott
Date: 8 Jan 2009 07:12:00
Message: <4965ed90@news.povray.org>
> We rebooted the laptop, and as soon as the BIOS screen showed up, the fans
> started spinning like mad. We waited for them to slow down.

What software was running then while you were waiting?

> The solution in the end was quite simple. Reboot with the laptop hot. The
> fans spin up to full power. Rather than waiting for them to stop, just
> start installing. The fans remained at full speed until the system
> soft-reset onto the new kernel. After that they appeared to work
> "normally".

I notice when I boot up my Vista box, that every fan runs at full blast
until some point during Vista boot, whereby first the CPU fan virtually
turns off, then a few seconds after the desktop appears the GPU fan
virtually turns off, all I can hear then is just occasional blips of hard
drive head movement - until I fire up a 3D game, then all hell breaks loose
again :-)