POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 : Re: Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acer Aspire 5000
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jan 2009 04:11:37
Message: <4965c349$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> The utterly weird thing is, it behaves perfectly under [several
>> different variants of] Linux, but continues to randomly freeze when
>> running under Windows. [I have reinstalled Windows several times now.
>> Interestingly, it always seems to hang at the same places in the
>> installation sequence.]
>
> Sounds to me like it is one particular piece of hardware/driver
> malfunctioning.

This is my feeling also. It used to work just fine, and now it doesn't,
despite multiple reinstalls, which suggests a hardware issue. (But I
have no idea which bit of hardware.)

I did think perhaps it was the audio - my sister mentioned the sound
suddenly stopped working a while ago, and sure enough the machine locked
shortly after I installed the audio drive.

...but then I reinstalled without the audio driver, and it still
randomly hangs. *sigh*

> I would try booting Windows in safe mode and seeing if that is stable.

Ah, the joy of intermittent faults. Is it *really* gone? Or is it just
not happening right now? :-/

> If so then I would reboot normally and disable all non-critical hardware
> in device manager.  If it is still stable then selectively restart
> hardware until it you find the culprit.  If you are really lucky a
> driver update might fix it...

Well, currently I have installed Windows plus every update that Windows
Update will give me. I haven't *seen* it crash since that time, but.....