POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 : Re: Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acer Aspire 5000
From: scott
Date: 8 Jan 2009 02:54:58
Message: <4965b152$1@news.povray.org>
> The utterly weird thing is, it behaves perfectly under [several different
> variants of] Linux, but continues to randomly freeze when running under
> Windows. [I have reinstalled Windows several times now. Interestingly, it
> always seems to hang at the same places in the installation sequence.]

Sounds to me like it is one particular piece of hardware/driver
malfunctioning.  Under Linux it either has a different driver or is just not
used at all (as already mentioned).

I would try booting Windows in safe mode and seeing if that is stable.  If
so then I would reboot normally and disable all non-critical hardware in
device manager.  If it is still stable then selectively restart hardware
until it you find the culprit.  If you are really lucky a driver update
might fix it...