POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sun/earth/moon/day/night : Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night
From: David Buck
Date: 7 Jan 2009 22:49:25
Message: <496577c5$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> Jérôme M. Berger nous illumina en ce 2009-01-07 15:13 -->
>>
>> clipka wrote:
>>> Out of curiosity: Would such a system actually be stable in reality?
>>>
>>     It is: look at the Pluto-Charo pair of planets (planetoids?) in the
>> solar system.
>>
>>         Jerome
>>
>> PS: Of course, Pluto and Charo aren't 20 ligth-years away from their
>> sun, but that's probably just me being obtuse ;)
>>

> It's 20 lightyears away from HERE.
>
> A planet orbiting it's sun at a 20 lightyears radius would need to have
> an extra-galactic sun, or get snatched away by nearby stars. Such a
> planet would also be frozen solid, with, maybe, sone seas of liguid
> hydrogen and helium. It's "year" would last several 100's of millenias.

Um, yea :-).

The star (Delta Pavonis) is about 20 lightyears from our Sun.  I don't
think a planet could orbit a star at a distance of 20 light years.  The
planets orbit their sun at a distance of 93.5 million km and the two
planets are about 47,000 km apart from each other and rotating 19.7
degrees off the ecliptic.  The Roche Limit is about 5900 km so they
won't tear each other apart.   The binary planets have a 33.6 hour day
and a year of 182 Earth days or 130 planet days.  Acceleration due to
gravity is 7.2 m/s^2 (compared to 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).  If you're on one
planet, the other appears fixed permanently in the sky and is just over
13.6 times the size of the Earth's moon in the sky. Every year, there
are two periods (one in the spring and one in the fall) when the two
planets eclipse each other for several days in a row.

(Ok, I'm a geek :-)  )

Back to the IRTC software.

David Buck