POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : That was close... : Re: That was close... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That was close...
From: stbenge
Date: 7 Jan 2009 17:59:18
Message: <496533c6@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> If the same thing had happened to the - significantly older - main HD of my
> Windows machine, it would have meant sayonara to something like a week of
> brain-wrecking radiosity thinking and coding...

This reminds me... I mentioned in p.b.images that I sometimes get black
splotches in certain scenes using radiosity. It is not caused by
reflecting or refracting objects in the scene; I've known about those
artifacts for some time.

This problem is caused by something else. I ran into it again last
night. The radiosity count was at 300 when it happened. As it turns out
the problem has to do with my setting for adc_bailout. I had it set to a
value of 0.1. I changed it to 1/256 and the black splotches are gone! I
found no mention in the docs about such behavior, but it makes sense in
a way. I don't know why raising the count would make black splotches
suddenly appear though, but since I have a fix I don't really care at
this point. I thought I'd let you know about it, just in case it's not
supposed to work that way.

Sam