POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really disturbing : Re: Really disturbing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really disturbing
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jan 2009 12:50:55
Message: <4964eb7f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Maybe this is something related to human psychology.

I remember reading something about this. If you're in a tribe of 100 people,
most everyone is somewhat dependent on everyone else, so the likelihood that
someone would lie to you about something important is low. Except for things
like competition, mates, etc, for which we seem to have little trouble
catching liars.

If there's something unobvious going on, it's a survival benefit to know
about it, and hearing it from someone whose welfare is interrelated to yours
is a pretty reliable indicator compared to finding out on your own with
possible disastrous consequences.

Of course, this is yet another Just So explanation.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?