POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sun/earth/moon/day/night : Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night
From: David Buck
Date: 7 Jan 2009 11:39:07
Message: <4964daab$1@news.povray.org>
This may not help much, but here goes...

I wanted to do something similar but not for the Earth/Moon/Sun system.
  It was for a science fiction story I was working on that takes place
on a planet that orbits a star 20 lightyears away.  This is actually a
binary planet where two approximately equal mass planets orbit each
other (or around the center of mass of the two planets) and both orbit
the star.  The two planets are tidally locked to each other.  I wanted
to discover the dynamics of this world.

I wrote a simple model in POVRay and created an animation that captured
one frame per hour for one year (143 Earth days) and clearly showed the
geometry and timing of eclipses.

Notes:
	- as was mentioned, you have to be careful about scale
	- I didn't try modeling the elliptical nature of orbits - all orbits
are simple circles
	- since I'm creating the world as a work of fiction, I have some  room
to adjust the parameters to my suiting.

I can make this model available to you if you wish.  It could be
adjusted to give an "impression" of the Earth/Moon system but couldn't
be used to give accurate predictions of eclipses, etc.

David Buck