POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 1-way mirror? : Re: 1-way mirror? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:31:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1-way mirror?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Jan 2009 03:16:56
Message: <496464f8$1@news.povray.org>
"Catseye" <jpf### [at] comcastnet> schreef in bericht
> Is there a way to construct a 1-way mirror so that the camera "sees"
> objects through the backside of a mirror that reflects image rays from the
> object on the front side?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Easy. Use interior_texture, like this for example, a mirror box in which you
can look, so-called Infinity Box. I took this from an old scene of mine:

//--start code--
// for the outside texture of the box, use:
#declare Glass_1 =
      texture {
         pigment {
            color rgbft <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>
         }
         finish {
            ambient 0
            diffuse 0.0
            phong 0.3
            phong_size 90.0
            reflection 0.0
         }
      }

// for the interior_texture of the box, use this...
#declare Chrome_Metal_3 =
      texture {
         pigment {
            color rgb <0.0, 0.0, 0.0>
         }
         finish {
            ambient 0
            diffuse 0.0
            brilliance 20.0
            phong 1.0
            phong_size 90.0
            specular 1.0
            roughness 0.0004
            reflection 1
         }
      }

 box {
  <-1, -1, -1>, <1, 1, 1>
  texture { Glass_1 }
  interior_texture { Chrome_Metal_3 }
  interior { ior 0.95 }
  hollow
  scale <1.0, 1.0, 1.0>
 }

//--end of code--

In this special case, you would need a light inside the box, but this code
gives you the idea on how to proceed towards a one-way mirror.

Thomas