POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended : Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:05:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Jan 2009 19:39:49
Message: <4963f9d5$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:16:30 -0500, nemesis wrote:

>> > That's a misunfortunate event for some couples, not like they don't
>> > try hard.
>>
>> You know, I'm going to try really hard not to take that personally,
>> because some people are simply physically incapable of having kids.
>
> I know that and they are the ones I'm talking about.  I don't know why
> you'd take that personally as I don't know you sufficiently well nor was
> after personal insults, Jim.

Partly I was making a point.  You never know when you're damning specific
people with generalities.

Personally, I don't care whether you think my marriage to my wife is
"legitimate in the eyes of God" because we can't have children (mostly
because I don't believe in your God, as we've discussed before), however
I'm making the point that if the purpose of marriage is procreation, then
(a) you exclude normal people like me, and (b) you really should be
preaching about polygamy, since (1) it's more traditional than monogamy
through history, and (2) you end up with a hell of a lot more procreation
as a result.

>> Your lack of knowledge about the Mormon faith is pretty deep, it would
>> seem.  Do you even know what Mormons believe?
>
> I read the whole wikipedia article some months ago.  Very interesting.
> Specially as it seems to be the first Holy Book covered by copyright!  I
> guess L. Ron Hubbard got his inspiration...

Holy shit, Wikipedia as an authoritative source on the entirely of a
religion.   My mind boggles.

It's not like the Book of Mormon is hard to find - damned near every
Marriott property includes a copy in every single room, after all.

> All in all, specially the inacurate "visions" of native continental
> america, it's a very american thing.

Mormonism started in America, but it's hardly an American thing any
more.  Some Mormons serve missions in Israel, in fact.  I've got
coworkers who have family serving missions in South America, and my
wife's ex-husband served his in Finland.  It's everywhere.

As for "inaccurate visions", well, that's a matter of opinion and very
much in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?  Kinda like the "visions"
people in the OT had.

>> Some say that Judiaism and Christianity are man-made myths.
>
> Yes, like you and Darren, constantly. :)

Oh, you noticed? ;-)

>> Defend that
>> they're not and that Mormonism is - prove beyond a shadow of a doubt
>> that Christ didn't visit North America after he was crucified, but
>> prove that he is in fact the Son of God.
>
> Jesus is supposed to come back just at the end of times, why would he be
> roaming about America?  Why would he come to the USA out of all places?
> Does it have bigger sins than other places on Earth?
>
> It just doesn't make any sense.  Well, more than any other religion,
> anyway...

You'd have to ask a true-believing Mormon about that.  Personally, I
think it's a great "life guide", and most Mormons I know very much more
follow the golden rule (particularly compared to followers of other
Christian faiths) and in general are much more tolerant of people with
differing points of view.

"The Bible" as we know it today has been through a lot of changes over
the years - books added and removed.  As I understand it, Mormons believe
that the Book of Mormon is an extension of the Bible and that their text
is consistent with the rest of the Bible.  I've not studied it
extensively, but I've had discussions with people who do believe it,
which I daresay is just a bit more knowledge about it than reading the
entry on Wikipedia. ;-)

Jim