POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Best solution for versioning in my situatiuon : Re: Best solution for versioning in my situatiuon Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Best solution for versioning in my situatiuon
From: Halbert
Date: 6 Jan 2009 16:49:31
Message: <4963d1eb$1@news.povray.org>
> The simplest for you would probably be to set up Visual Source Safe. This
> is a source code control system that does locking. I.e., while she's
> modifying the file, you cannot.  In this mechanism, there's one server
> that holds all versions of all the code, and you take copies to your
> machine to work on them (or, hopefully, serve them from your production
> servers). You make a change by telling VSS to lock the file, at which
> point the read-only flag gets cleared, and when you're done you check it
> back in, which updates the central copy (with the possibility of getting
> old copies back, of course).
>
> One advantage is that VSS interface is built into Visual Studio, so it'll
> automatically check out a file when she starts editting it, for example. I
> don't know about Dreamweaver.

I see there is an option in Dreamweaver to sync to a VSS database. I wonder
what means you use to sync the VSS database with the development webserver
and the two load-balanced production webservers. The business about syncing
the two production servers is always something that has bothered me too
because we have been doing it manually. Every once in a while a revision
will be made and one of the servers will fail to be updated making one of
the two servers have an out of date copy (or no copy.)