POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended : Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Jan 2009 11:29:32
Message: <496386ec@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 09:41:20 -0500, nemesis wrote:

>> Todd and Ron getting married doesn't make me love my wife any less or
>> think less of the nearly 13 years we've been married.
>
> It's not that.  According to Christian/Jewish religion, to the tale of
> Adam and Eve, God made man and woman and made them so that they
> complement each other and turn into one flesh by the institution of
> marriage.  According to Jewish religion, it's thus a sacred institution,
> the words of God.

So let's talk about Abraham's wives, then, in the context of a monogomous
relationship.  As someone else (Darren?) said elsewhere, it's a question
of which traditions you take depending on how long ago you decide the
important traditions are from.

And from a religious standpoint, I don't have a problem with Christian/
Jewish religious traditions being the guiding force *in those
religions*.  The religious definition of "marriage" is not relevant when
it comes to legal protections between people who identify as a family
unit.

Jim