POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sun/earth/moon/day/night : Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night
From: SharkD
Date: 6 Jan 2009 08:33:20
Message: <49635da0$1@news.povray.org>
You might want to try Celestia, a real-time planetarium program.
Certainly, you can do the same things in POV-Ray, but there are several
caveats:

1) POV-Ray is not a real-time program. You can't preview changes or
interact with the scene in real-time. The best you can do is render
individual frames to create a movie--which can be a time consuming
process, and you'll have to start the process over from the beginning
each time you make a mistake.
2) POV-Ray can suffer from floating point/rounding errors when the
objects get too large and/or too distant.
3) POV-Ray takes a long time to master, in general; and creating scenes
is usually a laborious process.

You could also try GeoGebra, which is a real-time dynamic geometry
software. You could create representations of the planets as well as the
shadows they cast on other bodies using geometric objects. This program
is limited, however, to two dimensions.

Hope that helps.

-Mike