POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Snow : Re: Snow Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snow
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Jan 2009 07:46:28
Message: <496352a4$1@news.povray.org>
>> My mum dragged me out of bed early becuase of the "wickedly bad"
>> weather outside. Personally, apart from being very cold, I didn't find
>> much wrong with it...
>
> As with most things if you're careful it's not a problem; I'll agree
> it's cold, but it's certainly not as bad as it has been in my memory. I
> recall snow up to my knees when I was eight and my mum having to
> instruct the taxi (to get to my cousin's birthday party so mid-December)
> to wait at the top of the road because they wouldn't get back up it if
> they came to collect us.

I too can remember layers of snow multiple inches deep occurring *every
winter* when I was a child, and staying on the ground for days or even
*weeks* on end.

Doesn't seem to happen any more... And yet, a tiny bit of snow and
everybody goes mad. *sigh*

>> Yeah, not much problem with traffic. But hey, it sounds more dramatic
>> if you make out that it's a major crisis, eh? (It's quite irritating,
>> actually...)
>
> Well it is when you've been used to sailing through the roads without
> pause and it coincides with everyone driving like the person below.

Heh, yeah!

>> Yes, there's a tiny bit of snow. No, I'm sure your car will still grip
>> the road if you drive sensibly. You don't need to move at walking
>> pace! Tires have tred *for a reason*. Sheesh...
>
> Exactly there's a degree of care you need to take, but on main treated
> roads it shouldn't be to that much of a degree.

Indeed. Some people seem to overestimate how dangerous the conditions
are. Caution is required, but you don't need to crawl along at 4 MPH.

>>>  Gloves, thick coat, ...bobble hat?
>>
>> Super-saturated salt solution. ;-) Just in case.
>
> And that'll keep you warm how? ;-)

Because, old chap, when I snap the small metallic band, the entire
solution will crystalise, releasing heat. >:-D