POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Snow : Re: Snow Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snow
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Jan 2009 06:21:35
Message: <49633ebf@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook v2 wrote:

> -9°C in Brum apparently and I heard talk of -11 somewhere.

Heh, that's pretty mental.

My mum dragged me out of bed early becuase of the "wickedly bad" weather
outside. Personally, apart from being very cold, I didn't find much
wrong with it...

>> Man, it's *years* since it's been that cold. I mean, it used to be
>> like that every winter, but it hasn't done it for about a decade now.
>
> And yet the papers can still dust off the headlines from last year about
> Britain being gripped by winter/snow/ice. Apart from the increase in
> traffic (brats are back at school) the roads were better than they were
> yesterday though.

Yeah, not much problem with traffic. But hey, it sounds more dramatic if
you make out that it's a major crisis, eh? (It's quite irritating,
actually...)

Yesterday we found yourselves behind possibly the most nervous driver
EVER. Got to a roundabout. Stopped. Wait for the cars to go past. Uh...
why are we still stopped? That other car is going left. Finally, the
leader moves forward... 8 feet, and then stops (half way over the line).
Why are you stopping? Oh yeah, there's a car 400 yards away approaching
the aroundabout. WTF? In the end my dad got bored of waiting for this
person to actually enter the roundabout and just took another route.

Yes, there's a tiny bit of snow. No, I'm sure your car will still grip
the road if you drive sensibly. You don't need to move at walking pace!
Tires have tred *for a reason*. Sheesh...

>> Fortunately, I came prepaired. ;-)
>
> Gloves, thick coat, ...bobble hat?

Super-saturated salt solution. ;-) Just in case.

> Well in the hour and half I've been in the temperature has finally
> reached 13°C in the office and that's with all the heaters on.

Damn! And I thought it was bad that the toilet seats have condensation
on them... o_O