POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sun/earth/moon/day/night : sun/earth/moon/day/night Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  sun/earth/moon/day/night
From: gvdeynde
Date: 6 Jan 2009 04:42:29
Message: <49632785@news.povray.org>
Hello all,

First of all, my best wishes to all of you. And to the developers of
PovRay: keep up the good work; we're all grateful for the job you're doing.

My 5-year old son is very interested and intrigued by the interplay of
the sun/earth/moon and how this creates day, night, seasons, ... Also
the mechanism of a solar and lunar eclipse (who is casting a shadown on
who) has caught his attention.

Since I lack a mechanical model of this three body system (I remember we
had this in our geography classroom when I was in secondary school: you
could turn a handle and then by means of gears the bodies would rotate
and move), I was planning to do some animations with PovRay.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel, hence my question: is there anybody
here who has done something similar with PovRay? I would like to end up
with a small number of input files (or a single one) for which the clock
variable would both make the bodies rotate and move the camera to show
the different aspects (night/day, eclipse,...). Do you know of a site or
reference work where I could get approximate data (good enough for this
purpose of an educational animation) for the astronomy data?

Thanks for your tips!

bye,
gert