POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jan 2009 19:07:34
Message: <4962a0c6$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Especially page 5 seems interesting.

Considering it's named "modern operating systems", and I wouldn't exactly
count MS-DOS as a "modern operating system," I'm not surprised :-)  The
contention of this paper (on page 5 at least) seems to be that no machine
running unsafe code without hardware protection can possibly be running an
operating system, nor can a machine like the Palm Pilot be running an OS,
since only one program runs at a time. I find this counter-intuitive, given
the existence of terms like "single-user operating system", "batch operating
system", and so on.

So, if the *compiler* enforces the protection (like Singularity or the
B5000) and not the hardware, does the code that regulates the sharing of
resources and runs threads outside the address space of any particular
applications count as an operating system? :-)

Page 22 seems to also contradict page 5, listing "handheld operating
systems" and "smart card operating systems", for example, neither of which
would seem to be allowing multiple programs to run at the same time, manage
or protect memory, or multiple resources in space.

I just think claiming that stuff like MS-DOS or WinCE isn't an operating
system, or that AppleDOS wasn't an OS, is going to confuse whoever one tries
to talk to. Again, it's like claiming C isn't a real programming language
because there are undefined programs that will compile and run.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?