POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoseRay 3.12.0 released : Re: PoseRay 3.12.0 released: hair conversion error? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoseRay 3.12.0 released: hair conversion error?
From: FlyerX
Date: 5 Jan 2009 18:16:16
Message: <496294c0$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I am testing the conversion of Dynamic Hair from Poser towards POV-Ray. Just
> using the default settings for converting lines into tubes, I get the
> following parse error in POV-Ray:
>
> File: Name_POV_geom.inc Line: 60
> File Context (5 lines):
> <vector>,0,1
> <vector>,
> Parse Error: Float expected but vector or color expression found.
>

> This refers to the first sphere_sweep in the file, which looks like this:
>
> #declare poseraylinegroup=union{
> sphere_sweep{cubic_spline
> 20
> <0.916469,74.4353,2.32733>,0,1
> <0.990869,74.6436,2.39056>,0,1
> <1.08475,74.8324,2.4824>,0,1
> <0.995918,75.0382,2.53363>,0,1
> <0.863843,74.8944,2.41211>,0,1
> <0.779596,74.6889,2.35235>,0,1
> <0.721612,74.4707,2.3088>,0,1
> <0.679136,74.2467,2.27775>,0,1
> <0.64599,74.0204,2.25379>,0,1
> <0.618592,73.7929,2.2342>,0,1
> <0.594838,73.5647,2.21764>,0,1
> <0.573477,73.3361,2.20313>,0,1
> <0.554039,73.1073,2.19012>,0,1
> <0.53627,72.8783,2.17789>,0,1
> <0.520102,72.6492,2.16587>,0,1
> <0.505486,72.42,2.15371>,0,1
> <0.492479,72.1908,2.14114>,0,1
> <0.480805,71.9614,2.12799>,0,1
> <0.470326,71.7321,2.11452>,0,1
> <0.460655,71.5026,2.10074>,0,1
> }
>
> My hunch is that it is the tolerance parameter which is at fault here?
>
> Thomas

Thomas,

PoseRay can handle lines two ways:

1) Export them automatically, if they are visible, as sphere sweeps.
They would be constant width.

2) Convert them in the geometry tab to tubes. Once converted the tubes
become part of the mesh and will be UV mapped. You may want to turn the
lines off in the preview tab before exporting so that the sweeps are not
exported.

This may not be too clear on the manual and I will look into that.

I will investigate the problem with the overwrite and the comma
delimiter. I have been careful to force comma for separator and period
for fractions no matter the windows locale.

Thanks for the bug report. Let me know if you find anything else.

FlyerX