POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended : Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Jan 2009 17:48:55
Message: <49628e57$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:56:12 -0800, Darren New wrote:

>  It was
> passed because "the sanctity of marriage is attacked".

Which I personally think is absolutely ridiculous.

Whether two men (or two women) can get married doesn't affect my
relationship with my wife.  Pretending that it does would be my choice.

That said, I don't think it's reasonable to require, for example, clergy,
to marry people when that union goes against the religious beliefs.

But that gets really dicey too, but that does fall within the bounds of
the religious institution.  From a secular standpoint, if two people want
to get married, let them.

Let's do this:  Everyone's "marriage" in the eyes of the law is a "civil
union".  Those who want to be "married" can do so in the religious
institution of their choice.  And the rights that couple gets to things
like property, hospital visitation, next of kin status, etc - ie,
anything rooted in *law* - that's granted by the civil union.  Anything
granted in the "religious" realm (for example, the right to claim a unity
that lasts for all eternity into the afterlife, Mormon "family sealings"
adn the like) all fall in the realm of the religious institution that
performs the ceremony.

Problem solved.

Jim