POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature requests: true rand() and date() : Re: Feature requests: true rand() and date() Server Time
5 May 2024 06:38:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature requests: true rand() and date()
From: Warp
Date: 5 Jan 2009 13:01:19
Message: <49624aef@news.povray.org>
clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//dev/random

> As far as I can see, even these are, technically speaking, not random after all.
> They're just a *very* complex PRNG (basically using the whole system for
> pseudorandom feedback).

  I'm not sure that it's one property of pseudo-random number generators,
but usually their outcome is completely predictable when you know the values
of all the variables (because the formula of a PRNG is completely
deterministic and not influenced by anything but those values).

  However, unless I'm mistaken, the values gotten from /dev/random are not
predictable, which may well be a definition of a "true" RNG (or at least a
minimum requirement).

--
                                                          - Warp