POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? : Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place?
From: Chris Cason
Date: 4 Jan 2009 23:02:35
Message: <4961865b$1@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Maybe only the text is misleading, because installing just for
> one user usually means that shortcuts and ini files and the such
> go to the users app data and not "All Users" app data. Installing
> the binaries into the user's app data is rather exceptional and
> could be marked more clearly, such as

IIRC this issue was discussed at some length in a vista thread some time
back; the locations I am using are I believe the most appropriate ones for
Vista and are backwards-compatible with XP and W2K.

> What tool are you using to build the installer? You mentioned

Installshield.

> Windows Installer, but I thought that is just an installer platform
> nobody writes for manually. Urk ;) You may wish to have a look at
> http://www.advancedinstaller.com for targetting MSI, or NSIS to
> avoid MSI altogether.

I wanted to use NSIS ever since we brought out the 64-bit windows version
(as our old installer didn't work for it) but it is useless for our
purposes. To properly install a 64-bit app requires a 64-bit installer; the
NSIS authors are apparently either ignorant of this or don't care since
numerous requests for a 64-bit version got a "32-bit installers work on
win64 so we don't have to", despite their being told it wasn't sufficient.
I even spent some time trying to get a 64-bit build of it myself but gave
up (far too many issues).

I was reluctant to use Installshield but having built a MSI more or less by
hand once (the original Windows 64-bit installer) I had no intention of
repeating the process.

In any event, yes, I could put in an exception for XP, but I would need to
carefully evaluate what impact it may have on other code.

-- Chris