POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? : Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:31:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place?
From: Chris Cason
Date: 4 Jan 2009 14:22:47
Message: <49610c87$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Rarius wrote:
>> Why is POVRay for Windows 3.7 now being installed into C:\Documents
>> and Settings\Username\Application Data\POV-Ray\v3.7\ ?
>
> Is the *code* going there?  That's extremely wrong.

Not wrong. Just different (see below).

> If the local data is going there, like .ini files, that's where it
> belongs.

> If the user data is going there, it should be going under "My documents"
> in XP, or wherever you tell it to install.

Choose 'install for all users'. Then it will allow you to choose an install
location.

NB this new behaviour is more or less forced on me by Vista, since when
installing for the current user only (the default unless you want to get
UAC prompts), it is required to install the entire thing into a place the
user has permission to write to. Basically the binaries and the user files
are now split and end up in two locations; I use one of the pre-defined
variables set by Windows Installer for the path of the binaries. It so
happens that the above is what it resolves to on XP.

[Yes it's a pain in the ass but unless I spend the time supporting both
pre-Vista and post-Vista install schemes (= less time to work on other
stuff) there's not a lot I can do about it.]

-- Chris