POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? : Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Jan 2009 13:05:41
Message: <4960fa75$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> "Rarius" <rar### [at] rariuscouk> wrote:
>> Why is POVRay for Windows 3.7 now being installed into C:\Documents and
>> Settings\Username\Application Data\POV-Ray\v3.7\ ?
>>
>> As I regularly build very large datasets with POV, I have always
>> installed my POVRay into a secondary harddrive (D:). Now it appears with
>> the current Beta installers I get no control over where it is installed.
>
> Can't you just move it elsewhere after installed?  This is why I like zip
> packages best rather than installers...

Actually, that isn't quite the point. The problem is, this behavior is
annoying as hell. It obfuscates, for the average person, and I would
argue, at least initially, for me too, where the hell the files are.
And, if you are a dumb fuck like me, you assumed that XP worked like 98,
and your "documents" and "programs" would all end up where you told the
OS to put them, so didn't bother with a huge partition for the OS. I for
one simply don't have the space on C: for an endless number of idiot
applications stuffing things in those locations (and at the moment, its
just not practical for me to try to fix it, not the least because I have
drives running from C to I on the machine, and trying to mess with
partitions, even if I could find an old copy of partition magic that
could help me fix it, could, do to one of those partitions needing to
go, seriously screw up a lot of installations.

Windows behavior in this is just bone headed imho, and I can't
comprehend, given this behavior, how they ever managed to get it to run,
at all, on one of those Asus Eee PCs. Its not like those have hundreds
of gigs of space sitting around for every application in the known
universe to dump its junk into the same partition as the OS. lol

Yeah, with respect, I much prefer to have control over where things put
themselves, instead of being "told" by Windows, yet again, "You can have
anything you want, just so long as its what we decided you want!"

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();