POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 3 Jan 2009 23:32:14
Message: <49603bce@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   This definition of "operating system" is not mine. It's what I was
> taught. Did they teach me wrongly? Maybe.

I think.. Bios "could be", but just having some way to get into it, so
you can change some things, but not truly "use" any of your hardware,
makes it "not one". Its not like there is a clear dividing line, except
that, if you want to make one, an OS would have to have these attributes:

1. It allows user interaction on some level.
2. Ability to remain in memory and run a new application, once the
current one terminates (bios can't do that, short of restarting the
entire machine).
3. It sits between applications and a lower level interface.
4. Its not a script engine.

#4 is there *solely* on the basis that while DOS is an OS, something
like DOSBOX isn't. Why? Because the later *pretends* to have access to a
lower level interface, while *pretending* to provide all the same
features of the OS it simulates. So, its one of the fuzzy ones. It is,
and it isn't. Now, if you ran something that simulated the hardware,
then you ran DOS *on top* of that simulated hardware, then it would be.
Same with script engines. What you are dealing with is not access to the
low level interfaces of the machine itself, but to a simulation of those
interfaces that are needed to allow the applications to run in it.

Point being. Its gotten damn blurry. Now you can have a physical
machine, running a simple OS, which runs an application that simulates a
second machine, running a complex OS, which is running a sim of a much
simpler machine, which is running a very simple OS, which is running
DOSBOX, which simulates "both" the machine *and* the OS. In theory, you
could then run Windows 3.1 on that, and run some ancient copy of DOSBOX
inside that, and... Its gets damn insane. Ten years ago, people could
have given you a clear and concise, "Yep, that is, and that isn't."
Now... Who the hell knows in some cases. lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();