POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:51:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 3 Jan 2009 23:13:51
Message: <4960377f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> MS-DOS is still around after your application finishes running. It's
> providing services to multiple (sometimes even concurrent) applications.
> It manages resource allocations between different applications.
>
> I'd still like you to answer the question I'm asking. Because it sounds
> like you're saying that any OS where you can bypass the OS and talk
> straight to hardware isn't an OS, and I suspect you'll find that the
> expression "operating system" was coined before machines had protected
> modes.

Yeah. His definition would make Apple DOS and Prodos "not operating
systems", because it was possible, in both, to talk directly to Apple
hardware, and even take full control of the reads and writes from the
disk (like in copy programs, which used there "own" code to do that,
since it let them control timing and sector numbers, etc.)

For that matter, it wouldn't even be a valid argument to claim that an
OS needs to provide resources to "multiple" apps, which is a possible
argument, since while Microsoft abandoned further work on DOS when they
put out Windows, some companies, like one called Concurrent Systems,
made multiuser DOS implementations that supported normal DOS
applications, but used task switching methods to run them for multiple
users.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {