POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Jan 2009 16:10:56
Message: <495fd460$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> The fact that GRUB is no longer around once it has loaded the program
>> means it's probably not actually an operating system.
>
>   Sound pretty much like MS-DOS to me.

Err, no. MS-DOS is still around, supporting your application, once your
application is running. That's why main() can call exit() and you get a
prompt back.

>   Bios is, in fact, a perfect example of "operating system" by this
> definition.

Early operating systems were very primitive.

>> In my experience, when someone simply answers "That's BS and you know it",
>> it often means "Good point, but shut up about it."
>
>   Now you are insulting me.

Then stop accusing me of attempting to BS you. :-) If you're going to take
that statement personally, then so will I.

Seriously, if you'd answer the question I asked, it's pretty easy to have a
conversation. So far, you've done everything you can do to argue with me
that MS-DOS *isn't* an operating system without actually telling me *why*
you think that. *That* sounds like BS to me.

Given that the manufacturer and Wikipedia say that Xenix, MS-DOS, and MCP
are operating systems, I would think it's incumbent upon you if you disagree
to at least say why you disagree instead of saying they're all BSing.

>   Funny that you don't even know which phone I have.

I'm guessing it probably has a camera and a contact list on it.

>   Since you are talking in such an expert tone of voice about cellphone
> applications, I assume you have written programs for Symbian and know
> perfectly what you are talking about?

Yes. Not in cell phones, mind, but in credit card terminals.

In addition, my wife programs cell phones, so I have a pretty good idea of
how the code is organized inside at least some of them, and how it's
distributed to the OEMs, and so on.

>>>   Maybe I could answer with a question: If grub is not an OS and MS-DOS is,
>>> then where exactly is the line?
>
>> MS-DOS is still around after your application finishes running. It's
>> providing services to multiple (sometimes even concurrent) applications. It
>> manages resource allocations between different applications.
>
>   Then bios is also an OS. I suppose that settles it.

I'll notice that you've still managed to avoid answering the question. I
guess those batch processing monitors on the old mainframes weren't OSes
either, then.

But, since you'd prefer to argue on an insulting and emotionally-driven
level rather than actually discuss something that might lead to actually
giving someone something to think about (or heaven forbid changing someone's
opinion), I'll let it drop with a sad shake of the head.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?