POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid web advice : Re: Stupid web advice Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid web advice
From: Warp
Date: 2 Jan 2009 18:52:12
Message: <495ea8ac@news.povray.org>
> I honestly can't imagine why anyone would even think of recommending the
> first answer. And this is not uncommon.

  Someone encounters the problem and then tries to solve it himself.
Maybe he isn't very experienced with using Windows (or whatever OS/program),
or maybe he is one of those people who always seem to choose the hardest
way of doing things (even if it's not their intention), but after much
struggling and tons and tons of goose chasing they find an overly complicated
solution to the problem and think that they have figured it all out.

  Then some time later they see someone asking about the very same problem,
and they feel all l33t h4x0r when they can tell them their experience about
solving the problem.

  I once had to configure my Suse box to act as a router (becaue it was
the only way I could get a laptop connected to the internet), and I searched
for instructions on how to do that, specifically with Suse. If you search
for it, you will probably still find the same instructions I found.

  These instructions are really overly complicated. Among other things,
during the whole process, it instructs rebooting the computer no less than
*three* times.

  When I filtered out what I knew I needed from all the useless garbage,
the configuration was rather simple (basically a few clicks here and there
in Yast), and I got it working without having to reboot even once.

--
                                                          - Warp