POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid web advice : Stupid web advice Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Stupid web advice
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jan 2009 17:50:01
Message: <495e9a19@news.povray.org>
Sometimes I have to wonder about the quality of advice that people give out
there.

I picked the recycle bin (under Windows) and hit "delete" instead of "empty
trash", and the recycle bin disappeared. OK, bad UI, should probably be
special-cased to always ask, but it's consistent with any other icon on the
desktop, including things that don't represent real files (like "My computer").

I search the web for how to get it back. Lots of people seem to have done
this. The first hit returns advice with two people answering. The first
recommends delving six layers deep into the registry, creating a key with a
40-character GUID for a value, and then rebooting.

The second says "Open the desktop properties. The first link says 'pick
which icons show up on the desktop'. Click that link, and set the checkbox
next to 'recycle bin'."

I honestly can't imagine why anyone would even think of recommending the
first answer. And this is not uncommon.

"I can play DivX on my desktop machine, but not share it with my XBox."

A: "Install Windows Encoding Package, then install Windows Encoding Package
SDK, then install VNC, then create files with baroque names with GUIDs for
values in both the VNC directory and the Windows Encoder directory, then
give this three-line-long command line to use VNC to transcode the file."

What's wrong with "Install Windows Encoding Package, then *start it up* to
transcode your file"?  Why recommend going thru all the mess to install and
configure VNC, creating batch files that invoke plug-ins that ultimately
runs the same program you had to install to make it work anyway?

Is this part of the same disease that makes people confuse APIs with file
formats?

</rant> :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)