POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Dec 2008 14:46:47
Message: <495bcc27$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
> I think that I have a problem with the presuppositions here.

[snip]

> As a Christian, I don't find that line of argument very convincing at all, I
> might "disbelieve" a religion that was accurately described by the analogy.

I'm pretty sure that "believing in Jesus" is required to get you into heaven
in most evangelical christian religions.

In any case, the point I was making is that if you don't believe in free
will, it's not up to you whether you "believe" or "disbelieve", or whether
you feel the "conviction of sin."

It's like calling a religion "unjust" if you are punished because you chose
to be born female.

The very fact that anyone feels it's useful to argue about religion means
they feel your religion is a choice. That when it's time to decide whether
you "accept jesus as your personal savior" or "accept that Mohamed is his
prophet", that it's actually a choice and not completely predestined. If you
could no more "choose" to believe in Jesus than you could to disbelieve in
gravity, there's not a whole lot of point in discussing whether you should
or shouldn't believe in a particular religion. *That* was the kind of belief
I was talking about w.r.t. "free will."

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)