POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: status & SMP idea : Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 28 Dec 2008 18:45:09
Message: <49580f85$1@news.povray.org>

news:web.49553f5eb480f7928ac4fcf10@news.povray.org...

> From what I gather from Ward's paper, true radiosity requires the geometry
> to be
> subdivided in - roughly - equally sized patches. This is easy to do with
> mesh
> based geometry, but infeasible with the mathematical representation
> POV-ray
> uses for objects.

Now here's something that has been bothering me for a while. The current
generation of commercial renderers (the Vray/finalRender types, not the
unbiaised types like Maxwell or FryRender) are, as far as I know, evolutions
of POV-Ray-like renderers, i.e. basically raytracers with GI on top.
However, they are extremely fast and are able to produce artifact-free GI
images, typically for design and architectural visualisations where light
calculations must be very accurate, even for complex models. One can throw a
lot at them (area lights of any shape, blurred reflection/refraction, real
focal blur, displacement mapping etc.) and they still perform very well, and
users obtain fast and smooth results. Of course, these renderers are all
mesh-based.
The question is: is using mesh geometry the only way to get this kind of
speed, and is POV-Ray's unique ability to deal with mathematical
representations a limitation here?

G.