POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: status & SMP idea : Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea
From: Warp
Date: 28 Dec 2008 17:21:07
Message: <4957fbd2@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Whatever lighting model is used, it ABSOLUTELY MUST apply to any element of any
> scene.

  Says who? That's like saying that whatever texturing elements are used,
they ABSOLUTELY MUST apply to any element of any scene. Clearly UV-mapping
doesn't do this, yet nobody is complaining.

  I see no problem in triangle meshes supporting lightmaps, and these
lightmaps being pre-calculated using the algorithm called "radiosity".
(In fact, lightmaps are not very far from UV-mapping. It's just an
additional layer on top of the texture layer.)

> It just can't apply to only one kind of object. Any POV-Ray scene can
> contain simple primitives, isosurfaces and meshes. Any lighting model that don't
> work with any one of those just can't be used at all.

  And why, exactly? I see no technical, ideological nor philosophical
problem with it.

--
                                                          - Warp