POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: status & SMP idea : Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea
From: andrel
Date: 27 Dec 2008 17:11:13
Message: <4956A85E.1010006@hotmail.com>
On 27-Dec-08 22:13, clipka wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> It is a difficult decision in this version of POV. Currently there are
>> two important aspects of POV. One is the SDL and the other is the
>> rendering engine. And they are coupled.
>
> Well, not precisely:
>
> It's the *geometry model* and the lighting model which are tighly coupled.
>
> The SDL is coupled with the two, but that's something irrelevant in this
> context. The SDL could be adjusted accordingly.

The SDL is only relevant in the sense that if you would allow a version
of POV with only triangles, effectively stripping all other primitives,
it would not really be POV anymore. The reason why I called it coupled
is that they are both in the same package and one does not exist without
the other. That is of course quite different from being logically
coupled in the source.
BTW I applaud it that you have found time to look at the source in an
attempt to improve it. I wish I had time for that.