POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: andrel
Date: 25 Dec 2008 14:26:46
Message: <4953DED4.7040902@hotmail.com>
On 25-Dec-08 14:49, somebody wrote:
> "andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> news:495### [at] hotmailcom...
>> On 24-Dec-08 11:08, nemesis wrote:
>>> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>
>>> Whenever I bring my daughter to the doctor when she gets some cold or
> ear
>>> inflamation it's the same damned thing:  get her some antibiotics.
> F*ck, no!
>>> I do not intend for her to be an antibiotics zombie or something.
>
>> Come to the Netherlands where such actions are frowned upon if not
>> downright forbidden by their peer group. The reasoning behind that is
>> that unnecessary antibiotics will increase the number of resistant
>> microbes such as MRSA.
>
> That's where the paradox lies, and I am not sure if one resolution is better
> than the other. From the point of the individual, it's not his or her
> problem that antibiotic use in general populace and in the long term breeds
> resistant strains. The personal benefit is real, and outweighs the personal
> risk. Limiting the use of antibiotics out of concern for breeding resistant
> strains places the society before the individual. Such sacrifices are fine,
> but I think they should be voluntary instead of mandated.

Whether the personal benefit is real is questionable, possibly in the
very short term, but probably not on a longer time scale. Having every
individual make that decision is silly. Any responsible government or
professional healthcare organisation should make that because that is
their responsibility. All in all a very 'American' point of view if you
ask me (and I don't even know where you are living).