POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: andrel
Date: 23 Dec 2008 14:52:57
Message: <495141F6.1050501@hotmail.com>
On 23-Dec-08 19:27, stbenge wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Shay wrote:
>>> 1. The universe is made of particles which behave in predictable ways.
>>
>> Errr, no. The particles behave in ways that are only statistically
>> predictable.
>
> Particles are individually unpredictable (to us) because we still do not
> have a complete understanding of physics. Very tiny particles may appear
> to do random things, but until we have determined the what the smallest
> particle is -- the true quanta -- we can't say for certain that truly
> random events actually happen. They look random to us because of our
> incomplete understanding.

That looks suspiciously as if you believe in a hidden variable type
theory. I think it was proven that reality has no underlying hidden
variables. It is however some time ago that I did really study physics
and reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_paradox it is clear to me
that I need a refreshing course.