POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Dec 2008 14:02:28
Message: <495135c4@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>> Or, if you prefer a quantum effect, what "causes" a thing doesn't
>> always have to "come before it",
>
> And, given we're talking "the start of the universe", there is no
> "before" to talk about, either.

Maybe.. But that's a bit... uncertain. I may depend on what you define
as "before". If you mean time as we know it, then probably true, since
time seems to be a product of the universe, not something it "sits in".
On the other hand, since time seems to be a derived property, it has to
be derived from what ever "was" there. This is still "before", in the
same sense that there is, say.. a "before" for a computer program prior
to the first time you turn the machine on. That its sense of "time" is a
product of its own internal timing mechanisms only speaks to what is
"inside" it, not what happened prior to turning the thing on. So, time
could exist, in some sense, "before" it became time to this universe,
but "locally" it just happens to work the way it does "because of" the
other properties of this universe.

In any case, its not impossible for there to be a "before", its just
becomes an inaccurate context to apply at that point.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {