POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Dec 2008 12:24:08
Message: <49511eb8$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Umm. Actually the problem with first cause arguments is that they are
> perpetual. I.e., once you start claiming everything "must" have a cause,
> therefore something had to make the universe, you inevitably have to ask
> what caused that thing to exist.

The usual answer is "God is eternal and has always existed."  That's how you
know it's God, you see.

> Or, if you prefer a quantum effect, what "causes" a thing doesn't always
> have to "come before it",

And, given we're talking "the start of the universe", there is no "before"
to talk about, either.

In any case, I wasn't aiming to get into a general religion rant. I was just
looking for holes in my one argument. You, of course, should feel free to
continue, but it's not anything new you're saying. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)