POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: status & SMP idea : Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Dec 2008 13:39:21
Message: <494fded9@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
>> It's interpreted and dynamically typed, so it's certainly not something you
>> want to try to write *fast* distributed code in. Erlang is distributed for
>> reliability, not speed.  (And, FWIW, it's known to suck at floating point
>> ops, too.)
>
> Interestingly though, someone actually wrote a 3D modeller in that language.

Yep. And it's not distributed, either. It uses all one thread, too. Although
there are features for recompiling it and restarting it without actually
closing the model you're working on.

> However, this explains why Wings3D goes down to its knees when handling larger
> models...

That and being "functional" (rather than functional without the quotes, like
Haskell), meaning in Erlang you have to copy any data structure you want to
change, without actually being functional enough to make it possible for the
compiler to optimize based on immutability of variables.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)