POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech : Re: Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Dec 2008 12:44:55
Message: <494fd217$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> While I applaud the idea of parents supervising their children, I hate
> the idea of censorship in any way, shape or form.

One part of the problem is that PTC has something like 40 people actually
behind it. Some 98%+ of all the complaints to the FTC were from the same few
dozen people in 2007.

The other part of the problem is that once YouTube starts censoring content,
then they become responsible for doing so consistently. That's what the
whole "common carrier" bit is about. If you don't want any porn sites linked
from Hanna Montana, if YouTube bows to your wishes, they're going to have to
hire some people to watch for that happening.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)