POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: status & SMP idea : Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea
From: Warp
Date: 22 Dec 2008 12:37:06
Message: <494fd042@news.povray.org>
clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> So maybe on Posix systems boost just wraps the Pthreads mutexes, thereby adding
> some more overhead? Or is the difference much worse?

  While Boost uses Pthreads in posix-compliant systems, according to my
tests its thin layer over it adds a tiny amount of overhead.

  OTOH I have also read somewhere that this small problem is (or is going
to be) fixed in newer versions of Boost by moving more code into inline
functions (thus effectively removing any overhead over calling Pthreads
directly).

  Anyways, overall it doesn't make too much of a difference. The basic
slowness of mutexes is the same.

--
                                                          - Warp