POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech : Re: Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Decency group attemps to kill freedom of speech
From: somebody
Date: 22 Dec 2008 08:08:48
Message: <494f9160$1@news.povray.org>
"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message

> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081221-ptc-goes-after-youtube-use
> r-comments.html
>
> While I applaud the idea of parents supervising their children, I hate
> the idea of censorship in any way, shape or form.

Taking the sensibilities of your users' into account is not censorship, it's
business sense. YouTube, and many internet and traditional media companies,
already engage in self-regulation, have certain standards, principles of
decorum. If people want less vulgar language, and if they are a large enough
group, they will likely get it. On the other hand, if there's a large enough
group that lobbies for more vulgarities, YouTube will likely bow to their
wishes, according to what's more or less a democratic process. It's a free
market, and companies need to take consumers' opinions into consideration to
survive. And one cannot blame the customers for voicing their opinions
either.