POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A vacuous comparison : Re: A vacuous comparison Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A vacuous comparison
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Dec 2008 07:44:11
Message: <494f8b9b$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Actually, my favourit so far is this...
>>
>> http://media.nokrev.com/junk/haskell-logos/logo7.png
>>
>> It looks a tad harsh, but the genius of it is that it's 5 straight
>> lines. You can render it any way you like, and it's still the logo! :-D
>
> It does look nice simple and effective, but put some colour in there!

Well, yeah. It's a tad monochrome. And somebody complained that it looks
too "millitary" with all the sharp angles. But that's just it - it's
such a simple shape that you can draw it several different ways, and
it's still the same symbol. So you can experiment with assorted colours,
line styles, curves, etc. But I think the *shape* itself is a good idea. ;-)

And then some other dude goes "hey, I don't think we should have a logo
with a lambda in it, or any other syntactic elements".

Had *you* noticed the lambda in there? Did you realise that the symbol
is based on the monadic bind operator? Or did it just look like an
interesting shape to you?