POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random question on a friday morning : Re: Random question on a friday morning Server Time
9 Oct 2024 22:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random question on a friday morning
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Dec 2008 15:33:07
Message: <494c0503@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> The tape *drive* itself is comparatively quiet. But when it first loads
> the tape, and occasionally thereafter, it makes a "chattering" noise
> which sounds *exactly* like the 1960s reel-to-reel tape streamers you
> see in old movies.

My naive guess would be that they're tensioning the tape by winding it until
a soft tab slips out of a slot at the right tension.

I don't remember reel-to-reel tape streamers chattering. Of course, the only
ones I used were in a big room full of mainframe where it was hard to hear
normal speech, let alone machine noises.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)