POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really strange design choices : Re: Trixy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trixy
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Dec 2008 14:41:36
Message: <494aa770$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Any regular expression can be converted into a state machine, but can
> every state machine be converted into a regular expression? Is there a
> one-to-one relation?

In the original definitions of those two terms, yes. Obviously, by the time
you get to Perl regular expressions, they're no longer "regular" in the same
sense. If you stick to regular expression algebra as invented by Kleene,
they're equivalent specifications of the same languages. (One can wind up
exponentially larger than the other, mind.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)