POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really strange design choices : Trixy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Trixy
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Dec 2008 05:22:31
Message: <494a2467@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Other amusing edge cases include "/":
>
> - A name is usually executable; by preceeding it with "/", it becomes
> literal.
>
> - The toke "/" by itself (i.e., not preceeding a name) is a valid
> (executable) name.
>
> Trixy Hobbitses!

Also fun is trying to write a correct number parser:

- ".0" and "0." are both real number objects (equal to 0.0).

- "." by itself is a name object.

- PostScript allows both "-" and "+" as sign prefixes (which is good).
Haskell does not, however (which is bad).

Basically, getting the parser to accept only valid PostScript numbers,
and return the correct value, is proving to be very difficult! :-(

This is what happens when you try to interface your program with
real-world systems; not everything is simple and mathematically elegant,
and it makes stuff much harder to code. I'm not giving up though! >:-D