POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All good fun : Re: All good fun Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All good fun
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Dec 2008 04:37:18
Message: <4948c84e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Of because the vast majority of libraries out there you need to write
> something like an OS are written in C.

Ain't that the truth...

>   Also C is conveniently low-level so that you can quite accurately access
> asm and hardware directly.

That's useful for OS construction. I'm not immediately seeing why that
makes it a good language for writing (say) a web browser.

>   Do languages like Haskell even support inline asm, linking to asm routines,
> or accessing hardware directly (other than with wrappers around existing
> C libraries)?

Inline? No.

But if you write it and assemble it as a seperate object file, it's not
difficult to link to it. (Takes a 1-line Haskell import declaration.)

Apparently somebody *did* write an OS in Haskell. It was called "House".
Obviously, like everything to do with Haskell, it was an experimental
research project which is now long dead...