POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell : Re: Haskell Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Dec 2008 21:37:40
Message: <494865f4$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:00:32 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> No it wasn't. I just take a lot of care that when I post I generally
> check the context and spelling. I envy people who can write directly
> without needing to check first.

There was a huge discussion on the openSUSE forums - there's an NNTP
gateway so people like me can read posts there, but those coming from a
"web forum" background are used to being able to edit their posts.

Those from the NNTP side were saying "well, why didn't you read what you
wrote before you posted?", and the web forum side was saying "what, you
never make a mistake?".

It's an interesting "clash" of styles.  Going in and editing an NNTP post
is generally not possible the way the servers are implemented (would
require modification of INN or Twister) and change propagation would be
nuts.

It's funny to me that in many web forums, people want to be able to edit
their posts to correct them or make them look better, and then resort to
writing in a shorthand that doesn't make sense when read on a
professional level, and they don't want to reply to themselves in the
thread to post a clarification, which from an NNTP perspective is second
nature.

Jim