POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All good fun : Re: All good fun Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All good fun
From: andrel
Date: 16 Dec 2008 17:27:58
Message: <49482BCA.6090605@hotmail.com>
On 16-Dec-08 22:46, Warp wrote:
>>> 2. How much slower would the whole contraption be? (I'm guessing it
>>> would make Vista look *fast*...)
>
>> It would be about 30% faster.
>
>   If it would indeed by 30% faster, that would only be a sign that the
> current codebase sucks. (Of course being MS, that would hardly surprise
> anyone.)
>
>   If the codebase sucks, it means the programmers are incompetent. Would
> a change in programming language make them less incompetent?

A couple of possible answers:
- you take it a bit too serious
- not all programmers are equally competent at every level. A good
programming system and language can result in a better match for every
team member.
- C does not provide build in error checking, which means that often
data is checked both in the calling and the called function even if you
can simply prove that it will comply to the precondition. That might
give 30% slowing down in some cases. Of course there are also cases wher
both end fail to check, assuming that it is a task of the other. That
result in unreliable code.
- A language comes with a paradigm which enables solving problems in
certain ways. I am doing things in Matlab that I would not do in C
because although the languages are similar, some things are a few
keystrokes in Matlab and 20+ lines of code in C. Just as that some
things are more easy expressed in sql or prolog or with lex/yacc than in
C and run faster (even if you could do it in C and even if C was used as
an intermediate step).