POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : WALL-E : Re: WALL-E Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WALL-E
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 16 Dec 2008 13:40:13
Message: <4947f60d$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
>> Haha, I prefer to see films in the big screens, but I also prefer it
>> if the rest of the audience are dead quiet, or, if I can possibly
>> manage it, absent. I usually find other people far distracting from
>> the film.
>
> I went to see a vampire movie in the middle of the afternoon on a
> thursday once. It was the least memorable movie I ever saw, because
> there were 3 others in the audience.

I like to focus on a movie. If the guy behind me is nattering on his
phone and the guy in front is wrestling with a plastic bag, well, it
really grinds my gears!

> On the other hand, I saw "The Grudge" and there were dozens of teens
> down near the front who'd obviously seen it several times already and
> were raising hell, and it was still rather disturbing. :-)

I've not seen the Grudge, but from what I've heard I think I'd be quite
thankful of the extra noise in that particular case. In fact, I think
horror movies nullify my previous claim - when I saw 'Identity' I was
the only person in the screen and it scared the sh*t out of me!

> And of course, Rocky Horror Picture Show wouldn't be the same without
> the audience.

Well, that's different! Or sing-a-long Sound Of Music for that matter
(not that I'm likely to rush into that either)

> But I find commedies greatly enhanced by having an audience, which is
> why people put in fake soundtracks on the ones you watch by yourself at
> home.

Fair enough. I don't usually bother with pure comedies in the cinema,
they lose nothing on a small screen and I'm more often disappointed by
them these days. I'd rather be disappointed by big-budget eye candy
instead! (SWII:AOTC anyone?)

Yes, I think you're right actually, it depends on the movie. If it's a
serious drama/thriller I'd prefer my co-viewers to keep it down, but I'm
not that bothered otherwise. I think the few truly bad experiences jade
my attitude a little!