POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : As fast as C : Re: As fast as C Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: As fast as C
From: scott
Date: 16 Dec 2008 10:13:44
Message: <4947c5a8$1@news.povray.org>
> What this means is that any programming language that features automatic
> memory management is instantly many hundred times slower than a language
> using manual memory management, and there's nothing you can do about it.
>
> I find that sad.

What's sad is if the authors of such languages have not thought about cache
usage when designing the compiler.

I don't see how it's any different to people using BASIC complaining that
they can't benefit from the "count down to zero" loop because BASIC won't
let them remove the extra compare instruction.

As always, if you want complete control over the CPU use assembler, if you
want a little less control use a language like C.  You use higher level
languages to make writing the code easier, but you lose direct control of
the CPU.