POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell : Re: Haskell Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Dec 2008 16:43:26
Message: <4946cf7e$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:35:41 -0400, Saul Luizaga wrote:

> Also I can't believe somebody actually got insulted by this type of
> abbreviations,

I don't think that it's that anybody was insulted, Saul, I think that
it's that it's not part of the cultural norm of these newsgroups.

When communicating, it's important to take your audience into
consideration - whether spoken, written, or whatever.

Online communities develop their own personalities and cultural norms.
The use of SMS text abbreviations is pervasive through some, and not in
others.

This is one of the ones where it isn't as pervasive.  Sure, some things
(like LOL) find their way into it.  But when you are trying to get a
point across or discuss something, it's always best to take the listener/
reader into consideration.

I mean, I cood right yousing wired wurdz or 3v3n 1337-5p33k two tri- too
luk kewl.  Buht t3ll m3 h0w d1ff1cu1t eye ahm 2 uhndrstahnd.

When you're reading along full tilt and then you have to stop to think
about what's been written, the end result often is that you stop reading
and go onto the next message.

Now, tell me you read the paragraph immediately proceeding this one and
the one before it at the same speed.  I *wrote* it, and the first one
takes me longer, even though it's shorter.

Jim