POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lightcuts : Re: Lightcuts Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightcuts
From: Warp
Date: 15 Dec 2008 16:28:24
Message: <4946cbf8@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> spot on the floor cast by a point(ish) source in the sky. But in any case,
> nemesis assures us the sky doesn't cast light, so I guess that shadow's all
> wrong as you originally said.

  I don't have a problem with the shadow per se, as the ceiling and upper
walls are illuminated by the bright spot on the floor, and the ceiling and
walls probably will cause a darkening underneath the head. What bothers me
is how well-defined the shadow is. It's almost sharp. If the shadow is
caused by a large ceiling and walls, the shadow under the head should be
*very* smooth (as the ceiling would effectively be a huge area light), so
smooth that it should be almost shapeless. Such as well-defined shadow can
only be produced by a relatively small area light, which in itself would
make the head be lighted more strongly from that direction.

--
                                                          - Warp